The annual study on the 150 most powerful and valuable African brands has just been released by «Brand Finance».
– Overall brand value in the top 150 Africa fell by 12% from US$45.5 billion in 2020 to US$40.0 billion in 2021
– MTN, the South African telecom operator, has been named the strongest and most valuable African brand for the second year in a row, with a brand worth of US$2.7 billion.
– With 81 brands out of 150, South Africa dominates the ranking, accounting for 73 percent of the total value of the 150 African brands. Nigeria is second on the continent with 17 brands, and Morocco is third with 10 brands in the top 150.
– Banks, telecoms and insurance are the sectors with the strongest and most valued brands on the continent.
– The banking sector has the most valuable brands in Africa, with 36 brands accounting for 27 percent of the overall value of the 150 African brands. Between 2020 and 2021, the total value of African banking brands declined by 12%, as did the value of banking brands in other parts of the world.
– Three banking brands stand out with a positive development:
Kenya Commercial Bank (+ 12% à US$209 million), BANK OF AFRICA (+ 11% to US$221 million) and Nigeria Access Bank (+ 8% to US$262 million)
– The BANK OF AFRICA brand had the greatest year in terms of brand value in Morocco (all sectors combined) and the second-best performance in the African banking industry, with an increase of 11% in the brand value, which is now valued at US$221 million.
THE BANK OF AFRICA offers services in consumer, corporate and private banking and has a broad regional coverage in Morocco, it operates over 697 branches in Morocco alone. And 560 branches in the rest of the african continent.